- Housing Programs
- Doing Business
- News & Media
On April 8, 1938, the City Commission of Daytona Beach created the Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach and five (5) board members were appointed. In September of that same year an office was established and an executive director was appointed. This was the inception of planning and development of affordable housing for the city. The local authority requested an earmarking of funds in the amount of a million dollars, half to be used for Pine Haven Project (Blacks) (later renamed Bethune Village) and half for Halifax Park Project (Whites).
Pine Haven and Halifax Park were both extended over the years and freed of its color barriers.
In 2005 both sites were demolished utilizing a revitalization grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) referred to as HOPE VI. South Street Apartments (later renamed Martin Luther King, Jr. Apartments) was constructed in 1951 and was demolished in 2006 under HOPE VI as well.
The HOPE VI grant yielded, three newly constructed sites: Villages at Halifax, Lakeside Village, and Pine Haven (the original name was restored). HACDB partnered with Picerne Development Corporation to manage and oversee all operational aspects for these new sites. HOPE VI addressed physical and economic needs of housing and the community as a whole. The community and supportive services component of HOPE VI continues to transform the lives of residents for the better through educational opportunities, job skills, money management training, and homeownership that were afforded under this program.
Other affordable housing inventory built over the years includes Palmetto Park, 1959 and 1960; Caroline Village, 1965; Windsor Apartments, 1967; Maley Apartments, 1972; and Northwood Village and Walnut Oaks, 1985. Through HUD’s Capital Fund Program, we are continuously improving our housing stock. Funding has decreased in recent years for all PHA’s, making it is necessary that we seek alternative affordable housing funding sources.