THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF DAYTONA BEACH
Job Title: General Laborer
Reports To: Property Manager
Revised: May 3, 2023
Department: Low-Income Public Housing FLSA: Non-Exempt /Full-time
Perform maintenance, grounds care and custodial duties as assigned. This is the entry level position within the Maintenance Department which is a subgroup to the Low-income Public Housing (LIPH). Duties include but are not limited to the following: mowing with push-type and riding mowers, edging, trimming, raking and debris pick-up, reseeding, fertilizing, installing, and repairing curbing, pavement and sidewalks, cleaning out vacant units, cleaning offices and common areas in development offices, providing labor support to other maintenance mechanics and any other tasks as assigned. In some instances, this position may be required to assist with special projects which support business operations, unforeseen emergencies, and resident services. The General Laborer is responsible to dress for the weather.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must practice safety precautions and be safety conscious at all times.
- Performs specific grounds-keeping tasks in accordance with established procedures. Tasks include but are not limited to the following: gather and remove litter from all HACDB owned and/managed properties, mowing, trimming, edging, reseeding; applying fungicides, apply insecticides and sterilant; sweeping walks and drives; repairing signs; and patching parking lots and drives.
- Provide services to support residents including delivery and packaging of food, goods, supplies, correspondence, and personal protective equipment.
- Reports to immediate supervisor any items requiring maintenance as well as any unusual or unsafe conditions.
- Prepares vacant units for occupancy by patching and painting walls, stripping and buffing floors, cleaning appliances and windows and other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks such as repairing washers; unstopping sinks, tubs and commodes; repairing commodes and drainpipes; replacing ceiling or wall receptacles, light switches or blown fuses; painting interior and exterior surfaces including playground equipment.
- Transports trash and debris to landfill using a predetermined route of travel.
- Participates in off-shift and weekend emergency maintenance coverage as scheduled.
- Wash or otherwise clean company vehicles, machinery, and other equipment.
- Operate company vehicles, following established routes, through residential streets or alleys or through business or industrial areas.
- Performs other duties as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Property Manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of cleaning materials, equipment and methods commonly employed in the custodial care and cleaning of buildings, facilities, and equipment.
- Knowledge of general grounds care procedures and maintenance.
- Basic verbal communication skills required to convey information to residents, management, and vendors.
- Problem solving skills required to deescalate and resolve conflict.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring moderately heavy manual work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, tenants, and the public.
- Ability to use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down.
- Ability to put together small parts with fingers.
- Ability to hold or move items with hands.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCED REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or GED.
- One (1) year of working experience in the
- Possession of a valid State of Florida vehicle operator’s license.
- Must be bondable.
- Must be in good health and physical condition, physically able to lift heavy objects (50 pounds minimum), climbing, stooping, standing, carrying, loading/unloading, moving large items and other related physical activities common to maintenance work.
- Must be able to pass Background Check.
The General Laborer is supervised by a designated supervisor and generally does not exercise supervision of others.
Local travel between HACDB properties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. Sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time. Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling object(s) weighing up to 75 pounds; stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
This job description is not intended as a complete listing of job duties. The incumbent is responsible for the performance of other related duties as assigned.
This job description has been approved on all levels and is not to be interpreted as creating a contract for employment, expressed or implied between the Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach and any employee. The Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status, as well as any other protected class. In addition to federal law requirements, The Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status, as well as any other protected class.
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please download HACDB Employment Application, complete it and attach your updated resume along with your letter of interest.