THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF DAYTONA BEACH
Job Title: Occupancy Specialist
Reports To: Senior Property Manager
Revised: April 11th, 2022
Department: Public Housing
JOB TYPE: Regular Full-Time
The Occupancy Specialist is responsible for management of the Waiting List as well as Tenant Selection for the Affordable Housing Program. The incumbent exercises considerable judgement and initiative in carrying out day-to-day responsibilities which are subject to established procedures, practices, and standards from HUD. Duties require considerable knowledge of key regulatory citations in the following areas: tenant selection determining income, occupancy standards and preferences, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, The Fair Housing Act, and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Employee will provide written correspondence to applicants regarding their eligibility status, maintain clerical records, and prepare accurate, concise reports. Work involves considerable and constant public contact, often under trying conditions. Work assignments are received orally and in writing under the general supervision of the Senior Property Manager who periodically reviews work through conferences, reports, and analysis of results obtained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts interviews (face-to-face/virtual/phone) to verify information of prospective tenants applying for affordable housing, assisting applicants with the completion of forms and gathering required documentation.
- Verifies information submitted from third-parties and ranks application(s) according to required policies.
- Computes resident income, deductions, and complete forms.
- Notifies applicants of eligibility and computes rent for applicants.
- Explains programs and terms of dwelling leases to applicants.
- Handles inquiries from applicants regarding conventional housing and supplies resources to supportive services within the community.
- Maintains the official lists of housing vacancies and waiting lists of eligible applicants for the Affordable Housing program.
- Periodically reviews applicant files to update information on prospective tenants and place non-respondents in inactive files.
- Prepares monthly, annual, and other periodic reports required by HUD and the Housing Authority.
- Assimilates and enters data into computer terminal.
- Sends out consent forms for information on each applicant using internal and external verification systems.
- Approves or rejects an applicant based upon Administrative Plan/policies and HUD guidelines.
RELATED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares tenant file folders and makes any other arrangements, as required, prior to tenant occupancy.
- Prepares letters and other office forms and records.
- Maintains, Updates and Purges the waiting list, as required.
- Verifies age, disabilities and local preferences.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of HUD and the Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach (HACDB) rules, regulations, and policies on tenant selection and of required forms and reports.
- Knowledge of interviewing techniques and of record maintenance.
- Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with administrative rules, regulations, and policies and to explain selection rules and procedures to prospective tenants in an objective and impartial manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, superiors, and the general public.
- Skill in the use of the typewriter, computer, office copier, and other office machines.
- Ability to make moderately complex computations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to understand and follow quickly and accurately written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and superiors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCED REQUIRED:
- Associate’s degree in social service, business administration or management or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Graduation from a standard high school, preferably including courses in business practices.
- Two (2) to Three (3) years’ experience in public administration, social or case management work with dealing with affordable housing
Some travel within the development. All HACDB developments are located within the city limits of Daytona Beach, Florida
- Possession of a valid Florida motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Must be bondable.
- Must possess Public Housing Occupancy certification or be able to qualify for certification within one (1) year of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
(ex: The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. Filing is required which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.) Sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time. Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling object(s) weighing up to 75 pounds. Occasional stooping, kneeling, crouching.
This job description is not intended as a complete listing of job duties. The incumbent is responsible for the performance of other related duties as assigned. This job description has been approved on all levels and is not to be interpreted as creating a contract for employment, expressed or implied between the Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach and any employee. Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Housing Authority of the City of Daytona Beach expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please download HACDB Employment Application, complete it and attach your updated resume along with your letter of interest.